Grow Ahead is an organization that connects people directly to small-scale farmer organizations to support them as they combat climate change in their communities. We partner with local farmer-run cooperatives to support community-led reforestation projects that benefit people and the planet.
Industrial agriculture and food production are major contributors to climate change. Small-scale farmers do a lot for the environment — not to mention that they feed the majority of the developing world. Scaling and spreading agro-ecological strategies for combating climate change and feeding hungry communities must be a global priority. Despite the serious threat that climate change poses to humanity, and to small-scale farmers in particular, proven solutions like planting in agroforestry systems and using cover crops and compost to boost soil organic matter and fertility receive little government or market support.
Grow Ahead partners directly with small-farmer organizations to plant trees in agroforestry systems. The campaigns we support plant trees, income-generating crops like coffee and cocoa, and food together in a food-forest system. These systems allow farmers to restore water and nutrients to their soil, which increases food production and pulls carbon out of the atmosphere.
Who we’re looking for
We are seeking a part-time Social Media and Outreach Coordinator to join the Grow Ahead team. You will work closely with the team and be in charge of content creation and management for our social channels (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter) as well outreach to mission-aligned media outlets and organizations. The Social Media and Outreach Coordinator will play a crucial role in expanding Grow Ahead’s presence and community and facilitating outreach and education around topics of climate justice, small-scale farmers and community-led agroforestry. An ideal candidate has experience with communications, story-telling and social media management and is passionate about climate justice, food sovereignty, agroecology/agro-forestry and pushing forward a radical shift in community development. We are a small but growing organization with a small team so an ideal candidate will be able to both work independently and collaboratively.
The position will be on a contractor basis and the application open to all nationalities.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Social media: Scheduling and Posting to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, content creation and research, checking messages, responding to comments, online engagement with relevant conversations as well as allied organizations and networks.
- Content creation: copywriting, photo editing, graphic design, video editing (desirable)
- Media Outreach: Connecting with relevant media outlets to cross-promote Grow Ahead’s work as well as coalition building with allied organizations and networks for joint campaigns and joint messaging.
- Analytics: Social media reporting.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with social media creation and management
- Interested and passionate climate justice and environmentalism, food and farming,movement building,
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Strong independent decision-making, organizational, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Good written and oral English skills, Spanish language skills are a bonus.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator and multimedia skills desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with media contacts.
Please send your resume and covering letter outlining your relevant experience and why you would be perfect for this role as well as any portfolio or examples of past work to [email protected] with the subject line 'Social Media & Outreach Coordinator'
Job Type: Part-time contractor position, remote working
Salary: $/17.50 hour - 15 hours a week
Open to all Nationalities
Application deadline: January 29, 2021